I had my first interview last Monday (25th of August) in Ballarat at the base hospital. It was the first of 3 that I have. I wasn’t nervous until I drove into Ballarat and realised shit was getting real! The interview consisted of a group interview which was more like a ‘get to know you’ type thing, and then a 15 minute individual interview.
The individual interview was nerve wracking! They asked questions like:
- what are the personality traits of a professional?
- how would your friends describe you in 3 words?
- what would you do if a visitor collapsed in front of you?
- what would you do if you had a patient with a BSL of 2.5?
- what is reflective practice and how have you used it?
- what are your legal rights around medication administration?
I thought they were good questions, because they assessed your clinical knowledge, but also put everyone on an even playing field because they weren’t really questions that you could prepare for, and made you think about the answers carefully.
For Ballarat, there were 250 applicants, 100 interviews and there are 40 positions for nurses. So I think I did pretty well to get into the top 100!
I have my next interview on Friday for the Warrnambool Base Hospital, and the following Monday I have my biggest and most important interview, at Barwon Health in Geelong. They are my first preference and would cry with happiness if I got a position there!